Tuesday 13 September 2011

Pretty Things

Hello everyone, I hope you've all had a pleasant start to the week. I want to thank you all for being a follower, I've reached 88 now and that's more than I ever dreamed of. Thank you!
I began clearing through my stitching stuff today, putting everything I'm going to need in my storage tower. It's still work in progress at the moment, I have a lot of stitching things! Whilst I was sorting through my bits and pieces, I found this kit that I hadn't managed to finish last Autumn. Who remembers The Foxes? It was one of the first things I ever bought from 123stitch. I finally finished it at the weekend . . .



I know why I put this piece off, it had lots of tricky backstitching with metallic thread. I managed to finish that part, but when I started the back stitching around the foxes with normal thread, it just didn't look right. I tried a different darker colour and it still didn't look right. After lots of frogging and uming and ahing, I decided to leave the backstitch off. The foxes are shaded anyways and I really think it didn't add to the design at all.
This was a Gorjuss kit from Bothy Threads, and whilst I enjoyed the subject matter and the stitching, I don't think I will be buying another one of these kits again. I think I've moved past aida now and the backstitching with metallic thread was not nice. I am glad I've finally finished this piece now and put it in a frame.

In other news, I finally purchased a pretty ribbon box. My previous plastic container was overflowing and I do like my ribbon so I needed a better storage solution. I was stacking these on my last day at the supermarket and I knew it would make a lovely ribbon box, even though it is designed to be a lunchbox for girls half my age :)
But still, it's pretty!




Finally, a stitchy update to share with you all. Here's where I'm at on All Things Bright, finished the third motif and onto the fourth, the sunflower. Only one more to go, the watermelon, and the rest of the lettering and this design will be on the finished pile!


I've been itching to start something new but resisted so far. I want to make at least one Halloween ornament before the opportunity passes me by. And then onto Christmas stitching, my favourite!
Not much to report in my life right now, just still packing and seeing people. I'm out tonight to see a comedian with my boyfriend and his family, should be a very lovely evening.
Have a wonderful week,
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Peggy Lee said...

Bekca your stitching has come so far! The Foxes is adorable. I think it looks great without the back stitching.
Perfect box for your ribbons and All Things Bright is coming right along. Can't wait to see the finished product.

The Mommy in me is wanting to send you cookies for when you go off to college.

Unknown said...

The Foxes looks lovely just as it.
Your ribbon box is adorable.

Catherine said...

Love the fox piece! So adorable! Isn't it funny how some pieces just don't need the "called-for" backstitching?

Cute ribbon box too!!

Teresa said...

Your bright and beautiful is coming along nicely. Love the lunch box now ribbon box.
Your little foxes are cute the way the are.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Lesleyanne said...

Congrats on your finish. Great ribbon tin. Lovely progress on All Things.

Angela said...

I really hate metallic threads too, but the finish is really cute. I need a new storage solution for my ribbons too. Love the LK piece, you are making great progress!

Sarah said...

Metallic threads are a pain! They can add a certain something though. I've had pieces where I've left out the backstitching too, I think your foxes look wonderful as is!

Happy Stitching!

Carol said...

Your little foxes piece is adorable, Bekca! I, too, detest stitching with metallics and avoid them whenever I can... Stitching is supposed to be relaxing and using them just causes me stress :)

Such a cute idea of a ribbon storage box and your Bright and Beautiful WIP is looking wonderful. Good for you for resisting starting a new project before finishing your others. I tend to be a one-at-a-time stitcher as well...

Hope the comedian was funny :o)

Lynn said...

Your Foxes finish is wonderful!
I tend to avoid anything involving metallics or backstitching. It only frustrates me.
Your new ribbon box is very sweet!