Friday 7 October 2011

Pictures!

Hello everyone! I thought it was high time I put the effort in for a proper post, my first for October I think, or at least my first half-decent one. I have been stitching lots, but it's for my exchange piece and I can't show that. I do have one stitchy picture to share, here's my LK piece . . .



Not much done since last time I'm afraid, but as soon as this exchange is over, I can concentrate on this fully and get it done. I've already got my eye on a couple of new products I want to start. Christmas stitching is calling my name!
In other news, I've been baking! No cookies I'm afraid (sorry Peggy-Lee :)) Last week, I made banana bread, all of the housemates put in some ingredients and I was the one chosen to do the actual making, seeing as I seem to be the only one who hung around at my mum's knee whenever she was baking when I was younger. You wouldn't believe how unprepared some of my housemates are. One girl had never done any washing up before - EVER! And another girl didn't know she had to add water to the pan to make pasta. I find it quite scary how anyone could get this far in life without even knowing how to make pasta. What do you think about this? Should parents prepare their kids a little more before packing them off to Uni?
Anyway, back to the banana cake, it was a success! It got compliments from all my housemates and I hope I don't seem too big headed when I say it was very yummy. Here's pictures to prove it.





I'd like to do more baking if time and money allows it, it's so much fun :)
Lawrence is coming down this weekend and we're going for cream tea in one of the cute tearooms in town. I'm so looking forward to it. I've got a bit of time now to do some blog reading before heading to my screenwriting lecture, my favourite lesson of them all. Hope you have a wonderful weekend,
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're having a good time!
It is quite surprising with how little knowledge of life students go to university. My brother had a flatmate who thought that just putting pasta in a pan on the hob (without lighting it) would somehow magically cook it.

Have fun!

Teresa said...

You should be very proud of your banana bread and the fact that you can take care of such stuff. These are things your housemates should have learned years ago.
Enjoy yourself.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Carol said...

Sounds like you're off to a great and very well-balanced first year, Bekca. Studying, baking, stitching, dating--just perfect :)

I'm afraid none of my sons knew how to do laundry before they left for college--it was a quick 5 minute lesson the night before they left... Most of their things came back shrunken and misshapen after that first semester!!

Sarah said...

Your stitching looks great - can't wait to see the exchange piece. When I came to uni most people I knew could cook ok, but so few knew how to clean!! It was scary how many had never done dishes or picked up a vacuumn cleaner before. I'm also still shocked sometimes by how fussy some people are with what they eat - I know more than one person who when they are at uni decide they don't like meat or vegetables! (then wonder why they get sick all the time and put on weight).

I'm glad you know how to take care of yourself, can't wait to hear more of your uni adventures! The banana bread looks delicious

lesli said...

Love your blog, Bekca! tha banana cake looks so yummy!
I'm new to the blog world and I'm really enjoying reading your posts!

-lesli

http://fabulousfrogger.blogspot.com/

Shelley said...

Your banana bread looks yummo! I certainly hope my two boys are prepared for when they leave home.. lol at the never have washed up! Love your progress shot - looks great :)

Catherine said...

Oh your bread looks yummy! You seem very balanced - your roommates are lucky to have you!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Your WIP is looking fantstic!

I work in a high school and I agree a lot of kids aren't ready to get out on their own. I find too many parents do everything for their kids nowa days isntead of teaching them to be self sufficent!

Lynn said...

Your banana bread looks delish!
It doesn't surprise me how little some kids know. I find that not enough of them are taught how to manage on their own. I made sure my three sons knew how to cook and clean before they left.

Elisa said...

Lovely stitching...and that Banana bread loves yummy, I love baking that. It is a shame that kids nowadays are not prepared for the big world away from mum's apron strings...well done to yours for making sure you were!!

Bertie said...

Good to see you are having a great time in Winchester Bekca, lovely pictures!
Your cake looks mouth watering, looks like you're going to be teaching your housemates the basics of life, especially in UNI!!