Sunday 29 April 2012

The Knitting Lion?

It's been so lovely catching up with everyone's blogs over the past couple of days. I haven't managed to leave a comment on every single post, but I have tried to leave a note on the most recent one. Thank you all so much for your encouraging comments on my last post. I have been replying by posting on the commentator's blog, but is this the best way to do it do you think? I would love to hear what you think about replying to comments and how it should be done.

I received an email a couple of days ago from the lovely Catherine letting me know that her Birthday Stitch Surprise Parcel had arrived safely. I'm so pleased that Catherine loved her gift. Here's what I sent . . .


A card, a cut of floral fabric, a length of lace, a Lil' Britters chart, a pack of needles and a card :)
Emma is next on the list, I've already started collecting bits and pieces :)

And so to the title of this post. I have wanted to learn to knit for a long time. My grandmother tried, but I needed more practise than the one afternoon we had. My needles languished in a bottom drawer, but thanks to The Big Tidy, I've found them and a big small of gorgeous blue wool.
The thing is, I don't know how to knit. So, I went to my local WH Smiths and bought a knitting magazine. 


At £4.99 ($8.09), it was pretty steep for a magazine and a real treat for a student like me. But it came with a separate magazine filled with simple projects like hats, egg cosies and scarves. Perfect for this novice knitter!
I was hoping there would be instructions at the back about the basics of knitting. There was a two page spread about casting on, knit stitch and purl stitch - and that was it! Nothing about how to add different colours or the different types of wool. I was quite disappointed that this magazine didn't really help beginners.
However, I will not be deterred. I taught myself to cross stitch and I can jolly well teach myself to knit. I'm going to search on youtube for tutorial videos on knitting. I'm also going to look on the websites of the knitting magazines to see if they have a beginner's section on there. I really would love to learn this craft.
I have one big question for any experienced knitters out there. How much freedom do you have with knitting? Do you have to have the right wool and the right needles or the project won't turn out right? With cross stitch, I know I can mix up the colours and the fabric and it will still look pretty good. Is that the same with knitting, or is it more a stick to the book craft? Any help would be very much appreciated :)

That's all for today, I hope you're enjoying a wonderful weekend,
 




8 comments:

ricketyjo said...

Hiya!
Good luck with the knitting - I tried it a long time ago and I can do the most basic stitch, but I decided it's not really my thing. I hope you get on ok with it, hope you'll be posting piccies!
Jo x

Catherine said...

Thanks again Bekca for my lovely birthday goodies! It is such a cute project and the fabric and lace will be perfect to use in the finish!
I have wanted to learn knitting as well. I'm thinking it might be easier to donwhilenat the ball fields vs. stitching. There are a lot of stitcher's that knit in addition to stitching. Hopefully, they'll be able to share some helpful hints!
Good luck!

Elisa said...

Hi Becka, I have only started knitting in the past year or so....simple things like washcloths and scarves...I discovered Ravelry for free patterns etc...they may have a tutorial section...he is the link, it's free to join http://www.ravelry.com/
Elisa x

Lynn said...

I gave knitting a try in my teens but found that my tension was too tight and I gave up in disgust. Some day I hope to give it a try again. Some of the ladies in my craft group have offered to help me should I take it up again.

Teresa said...

My daughter taught herself how to knit from the internet. She now does lovely work. I am sure you will be making wonderful knitted items in no time.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Sarah said...

I'd recommend Ravelry as well, lots of free patterns and all the resources you'd ever need. I also found these videos really helpful when I was learning (my mum taught me but when I went back to uni I'd forget things often) http://www.youtube.com/user/theknitwitch.

The yarn and needle type definitely matter more with knitting then things do with cross stitch, especially with more constructed items (eg: a hat in comparison to a scarf). Until you learn what different needle sizes and yarns actually mean, its probably best to stick pretty close to the recommended or you could end up with some very odd results!!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be knitting away in no time

lesli said...

Aww...I'm sorry to hear the magazine you chose didn't have more instructions in it! I know when I chose to knit my cardigan, I spent a good chunk of time on youtube, watching instructional videos! It's amazing what you can find out there!
For my little knowledge of knitting, I've found it's your gauge tha matters the most. If your pattern says you should be able to get 20 stitches to equal 2 inches, and your 20 stitches equals 4 inches, then what you're making isn't going to be the right size...other than that, the type of yarn is going to matter when it comes to possible shrinking.
Can't wait to see what you make!

Terry said...

Good luck with the knitting! Youtube is a great idea for finding tutorials. I tried knitting when I was a teenager but could never quite get the hang of it. (Kept dropping stitches and had to pull it all out. lol)

I've given you the Liebster Award. stop by my stitching blog when you have a free minute to find out all about it.

Have a wonderful week!