Monday 30 January 2012

Time to Stitch

Hello everyone! Yesterday I finished off my big written drama assessment for this semester, and boy, am I pleased that's over with! The work itself wasn't too hard and I enjoyed the plays we were studying, it's just finding constant motivation is hard work. But now it's done and dusted and I can resume my normal stitching schedule. Yay!
About a week ago now, I posted off my first Birthday Stitch Surprise parcel for Mouse. I can happily report that the package arrived safely and was liked by Mouse, so I can now share what I sent . . .

Some pins, some needles, some ribbon, some fabric, some tea and a Margaret Sherry Mouse ornament, stitched on 32ct Vintage Beige Linen with recommended DMC threads.
Now I can't wait to sort out and send the next one! Fiona is my next victim  participant :)

I have been meaning for days to post the recipe, but I worry that it's going to seem so very basic. I really experiment with my cooking and just add whatever suits. But I have the recipe here for four people, but you can just do what I did and half it for just two of you. I cooked mine in a slow cooker, but I'm sure you could use a casserole dish in a low-heat oven, around 160C

Pork and Cider Casserole

Ingredients:
One small onion, chopped.
One cooking apple, cut into cubes.
4 steaks of loin pork.
1 tbsp of plain flour.
400ml of medium dry cider (I used Thatchers)
Half a teaspoon of dried thyme.
1tsp of dried sage.
Salt and Pepper

1) Cut the pork into bite sized pieces.
2) Heat some oil in a pan and gently fry the pork until it is browned on all sides. Transfer to your casserole dish/slow cooker bowl.
3) Add the onions and the apple to the pan and fry for around three minutes. Stir in the flour and then gradually add the cider.
4) Bring to the boil, stirring continuously, and then take off the heat and add the herbs and seasoning.
5) Transfer this mixture to the dish/bowl with the pork and mix together well. Place in a low-heat oven for 6 - 7 hours, or a low setting on the slow cooker for the same amount of time.

So there you have it, my first ever recipe! It's best served with boiled potatoes or crusty bread because there is a lot of lovely gravy. I'd love to hear if any of you out there try this recipe, maybe you could send me a photo?
I've got time now to settle to my stitching before heading out to Creative Non-Fiction. It was snowing this morning in Winchester, just little flakes mind. I'm going to need my woollen hat when I venture out later on!
Best wishes,

12 comments:

Catherine said...

Your parcel for Mouse was perfect for her!
Ooohhh....that recipe sounds good. I'll have to try that one of these days!

Carol said...

Such a perfect gift to stitch for Miss Mouse, Bekca!! I'm sure she's squeaking with joy :)

And thank you for the recipe--it looks like the perfect thing for a cold winter's meal!

Barbara said...

What a beautiful package for Mouse. The recipe sounds wonderful....have a great day.
blessings

Deborah said...

Wonderful package for Mouse. Thanks for the recipe.

Sarah said...

Lovely package for mouse, Margaret Sherry's designs are so cute! Thanks for the recipe, sounds yummy, I'll keep it in the back of my mind for when I have access to a slow cooker again :)

Lesleyanne said...

Great receipe. A lovely gift for Mouse - perfectly mouse like.

Teresa said...

So happy for you that one more paper is done. I saw the exchange on Mouse's blog. The material is perfect for her.
The pork dish sounds delicious.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Mouse said...

it was perfect for me ..lol :0 love it to bits :) and ooo nice sounding recipe too :) love mouse xxxxx

valerie said...

Very cute gift for Mouse and so appropriate! That mouse is the cutest! I may just have to try this recipe! Sounds delicious.

Dani - tkdchick said...

What a lovely package you sent to Mouse!

Elisa said...

A lovely gift for Mouse...lucky girl! Glad you got your essay done, mine was submitted at 24 seconds to midnight last night...lol.

Lynn said...

Mouse's ornament is absolutely perfect! Well done!
I think I'm going to try your recipe tonight Bekca. I was just online looking for a pork stew recipe but this sounds so much better. Thanks!