Sunday 11 March 2018

A finish and a new hobby

Hi there everyone! I hope this post finds you well. I have started my new job working as an admin in a foster care agency and I'm truly enjoying it so far. It can be busy, and there's a lot to read and learn about, but the people are so friendly and it's nice being in a job where I feel useful and like I'm making a difference. Sadly, I didn't get to go to Southampton last weekend - the snow meant my train was cancelled. I made the most of my time at home though, and seeing as it was wintry conditions, I felt inspired to work on my Christmas sampler. And it's finished! 





I've tucked it away for now, but I'm looking forward to getting it out again around November time and make it into a wall hanging to be displayed over the festive season. I'm quite proud of this piece, because I only used threads that I had in my stash. The only thing I had to buy for this project was the fabric. Everything else came from threads I had squirreled away after finishing kits, or odd Anchor threads that my sister had given me when she finished with cross stitching. It was a nice, cheap project, which is good to have every now and then to keep costs down!

I have started a new design that I did buy some new threads for, but only because I loved the colours used so much, I wanted an exact match. I've got a fair few stitches in, but haven't had a chance to take a pic yet. I'll be sure to get one up next week.

I've had a lovely weekend so far. We had Lawrence's mum come for a visit and yesterday afternoon, we went to a needle felting beginners class. I always enjoy craft, but I haven't tried very many of them, so it was nice to try a new skill. The class was in a gorgeous craft shop/work shop/tea room and was taught by a patient and kind teacher. There was only four of us learning, so we had time to each receive personal instruction as to where we were going wrong. We had a cup of tea half way through and it was a lovely way to spend an afternoon. I definitely felt I had a thorough understanding of the basics of needle felting by the time we finished. 

This is another cheap hobby to enjoy, because it only needs a little bit of equipment and you can find free designs on line. In the class, we each made a teddy bear. Mine is a bit wonky, but I'm very fond of him! 



Apart from cross stitching, what other crafts do you enjoy? I would love to hear all about them, it might give me an idea for the next class I could sign up to. I've got some chores to do now, but I can't wait to settle down with my stitching this evening.

Best wishes,
Bekca
xxx

7 comments:

Carol said...

I'm so happy that you are enjoying your new position, Bekca! And congratulations on your latest finish--it is so cute. I have always been fascinated by needle felting... Your bear turned out very cute :)

Just beginning to be interested in English paper piecing--especially hexies. I'll have a little write-up on it in my next post.

Justine said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new job Bekca, it sounds very rewarding.

You certainly made the most of the snow with your sweet finish and the felted bear is very cute!

Cross stitching is my only hobby, I can crochet but I don't love it as much as stitching!

RJ said...

So happy you are enjoying your new position Bekca. I know you will get lots back from such a rewarding career. Love your newest finish...great job. Oh I love felted projects. I may need to take that up one of these days too. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Brigitte said...

So great to read that you are happy with your new job. It's so important to feel good at work and to love what you do.
Congratulations on your new finish. You were doing the best during the snow days :))
You seem to have a lot of fun with needle felting. I tried it once but I knew immediately that it wasn't for me. So nice that your experience is so different and that you love it.

Mary said...

Bekca, I'm happy to hear your new job is enjoyable and the work satisfying. Too bad the snow cancelled your trip but you made good use of the free time. Your Christmas stitch is charming. Love your little felted teddy! Never tried that but it certainly looks like fun. I have enjoyed stained glass, stamping and I'm trying my hand at photography now. I enjoy my hobbies but cross stitch I think is my favorite.

Astrids dragon said...

I’m so glad you like your new job, what a wonderful feeling.
Wow, your sampler looks great! I can’t wait to see it finished as a wall hanging.
Awe, your teddy is precious! That sounds like a great class to take, I might have look into that.

Karoline said...

Glad to hear your new job is going well.

Congratulations on your finish, it's lovely. Needlefelting has always looked interesting but I haven't had time to try it (yet!)